I Can’t Believe it’s Nut Butter! Part II – The saga continues! You can read Part I here. Who doesn’t love saga’s? The Godfather, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Twilight?! Wow I just outed myself as a total geek didn’t I? Oh no wait you already knew that from my other post Silver Linings Paleo Blog. Well I did mention The Godfather, that one was cool right?
Anyway I’m getting off subject, imagine that…So another stuffed cookie?! Can it be?! I’m kind of thinking from this point on all the cookies I make should be stuffed with something. I know it’s not fair to all the other cookies in the world, but that’s not really my problem now is it? Cold blooded. You love it, don’t lie. Besides most of them are friends with gluten anyway. (Gluten!? The horror!!! Screams and shrieks of mayhem and hysteria as crowds run through the streets in utter panic.) So I have a bit of an overactive imagination, where do you think all these recipes come from?! For you cookie loving Paleo People, I have here a Paleo Nut Butter Cup Stuffed Cookie. Gasp! So tell gluten to run for cover because it’s about to go down. Suck it gluten! (Even though I really liked your performance in Pizza and Beer: The Cheat Day). Oh my gosh who writes this stuff?!
Paleo Nut Butter Cup Stuffed Cookies
*Makes 8-12 cookies
2 cups sifted blanched almond flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips (soy free, dairy free)
1/3 cup raw honey (melted)
1/4 – 1/2** cup coconut oil (melted)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 organic cage-free egg
8-12* Paleo Nut Butter Cups
1. Keep your Nut Butter Cups in the freezer/fridge until right before you need them.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the dry ingredients together with a fork. Includes: almond flour, baking soda, and salt.
5. Add the chocolate chips to the dry mixture and stir evenly.
6. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients together – honey, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and egg.
7. Also you may need to heat the honey and oil in order to liquefy them. 30 seconds in the microwave or warm water will do. Be sure to heat BEFORE you add the egg.
8. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until evenly mixed.
9. Let the dough chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
10. Once the dough is chilled, grab a piece in your hand, flatten it a bit, and then put a Nut Butter Cup in the center of the dough. Then grab another piece and put it on top like a Nut Butter Cookie Dough sandwich. (I just literally drooled typing that sentence.) It should look a little like this…
If you’re a perfectionist, shape the dough around the Nut Butter Cup a bit, it doesn’t have to be perfect, the dough will spread over it during baking so it doesn’t matter if some of the Nut Butter cup is still exposed. If you could care less what the cookies look like, just slab it down as is on the parchment paper lined baking sheet and move on to your next victim. Make sure you have enough space around the cookies, like I said they will spread.
11. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
12. Let them cool a bit before stuffing your face, I don’t want you to burn your tongue. Not like I did or anything. I totally waited patiently.
* My dough made 8 jumbo cookies but there is enough dough to do 12 if you aren’t heavy handed.
** If you want your cookies soft and uber gooey add 1/2 cup of coconut oil instead of 1/4 cup. If you want normal cookies like the Nutella ones then just use the 1/4 cup of coconut oil.
Also if you are too lazy to make your own Nut Butter cups, you can use Dark Chocolate Sun Cups which can be found online or at your local health food store.
So the word on the street about this stuffed cookie sequel is that they’re insane! My cousin Angela was visiting from out of town so I brought these cookies over for her and the fam to gobble on while we caught up and they all scarfed them down. I shared one with “Mr. I don’t like sweets” Brad (and by shared I mean I gave him a bite and I ate the rest) who really liked them as well! They make the entire house smell spectacular which is obviously a bonus because who doesn’t want their house to smell incredibly delicious?!
What should my next stuffed cookie recipe be? Bacon stuffed? You have my attention. Or wait do I have your attention? Am I talking to myself again? Bacon will do that to you, it has a very commanding presence.