Paleo Bacon Sweet Potato Hash is Where it’s at!
Look you guys! It’s food! Actual real food! It’s not even chocolate or something sweet! Happy dance then group hug, okay!? Are we done hugging yet? Someone didn’t do their shirt laundry. Just kidding give me one more hug! I’m so excited to present to you my first ever Main Dish…Paleo Bacon Sweet Potato Hash! Now cue “She’s a Maniac” on your iPod under Flashdance Soundtrack and imagine me cooking away like a maniac in my tiny kitchen. Like you don’t own the Flashtrack Soundtrack, please. This dish was actually inspired by the Bomb Bomb Hash I had the other day when I ate lunch with CrossFit Erika at the ‘Not So Fast’ Paleo Food Truck. We’re their biggest fans. Everything they serve is insanely delicious, not to mention it all comes from local sources and they list those sources right on the truck so you know where the grass-fed meat and organic produce you’re devouring is coming from. This hash is incredible. So incredible in fact that I went straight home, okay well I stopped at the grocery store first, and made my own! You guys, it came out absolutely amazing…AMAZING I tell you! SO I had to share it with you. It was so easy too, the only pain the a$$ was shredding the sweet potatoes because it takes forever. And you all know how impatient I am. I just told myself I was effortlessly (not really) defining my triceps the whole time. What? Everyone wants nice triceps. Even food bloggers. Holy crap I’m a food blogger.
I actually had that realization just the other day when I was photographing that delicious Paleo Summer Strawberry Cobbler I just made for you guys. My neighbor who recently moved in came by and asked me “What are you doing?”. My first thought was, “What, everyone doesn’t take pictures of their food?” and then my second thought was “No they don’t, you look crazy right now.” so I quickly replied “I’m not crazy, I’m a food blogger.” Then I realized prefacing that sentence with “I’m not crazy.” made me look even crazier. Then, almost instantaneously, my thought process shifted gears and I was like WHOA…I’m a food blogger?! Who cares about being crazy, how cool! So with that being said I just wanted to say thanks to all you guys and gals for reading my blog, commenting, liking, and being so incredibly supportive! It means the world to me and I’m having so much fun with it. Another group hug? Okay and then I have to get to the recipe!
Paleo Bacon Sweet Potato Hash
*Makes 2 meal servings or 4 side dish servings
2 large sweet potatoes
8 slices uncured nitrate-free peppered bacon plus drippings
1/2 cup chopped onions (yellow or white)
2 teaspoons Butt Rub Seasoning (if this isn’t available where you live just omit and add more ground pepper and then buy this stuff online it’s amazing!)
1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Peel and shred the two large sweet potatoes into an oven safe container. (Pyrex, stainless steel, what have you.)
3. Squeeze excess moisture out with a paper towel (mine were super moist) and then place in the oven while you cook and slice your bacon, about 10 minutes or so, to draw the excess moisture out even more.
4. Cook your bacon in a large pan. Don’t toss your bacon drippings we are going to use them to cook the hash in.
5. Now cut your bacon into pieces as big or as small as you want and set aside.
6. On low-medium heat brown the onions in the bacon drippings, it should only take a few minutes.
7. Now turn the stove up to medium-high and add the shredded sweet potatoes to the onions already in the pan.
8. Next add your seasonings to the sweet potato shreds and onions and combine. Do a taste test and add more if desired. When you are happy with the taste of the spices, use a spatula to flatten out the sweet potato and onion mix into the pan and press down to make it as flat as you can. Let it sit for a few minutes until the bottoms are brown. Then mix again and repeat this process until the sweet potato becomes hash brown like and cooked through.
9. Once the hash is cooked and browned, toss in the bacon and combine. Transfer to a dish, garnish with avocado slices and enjoy!
You could also sub coconut oil or olive oil for the bacon drippings if you’d like. I added more seasoning to mine than I recommended above because I like really spicy stuff! I realize not everyone does so I offered a neutral starting ground that you can build upon. You could also add eggs to this to make a breakfast hash or add some meat to it as well. Take it where you want!
This was so good you guys I could seriously eat it everyday. And then I would have amazingly sculpted triceps! Brad FLIPPED his lid over this recipe, he couldn’t get over how good it was. He even went as far to say he’d love to see this in our regular meal line up! I think he was just happy I wasn’t making him try another Paleo dessert! Obviously this isn’t an original idea by any means and I’m sure if you’ve been doing Paleo for awhile you’ve eaten something similar to this a time or two, but it really is easy to whip up and super delicious. Okay can we go back to dessert now?! This is two non-chocolate recipes in a row! I know what you’re thinking, have aliens taken over my body. I can’t give you a completely accurate answer because the lack of chocolate has been messing with my brain waves. Take me to your chocolate leader…