You Will Be Visited By 3 Ghosts of Holiday Flavors Past, The Second is: Peppermint! Paleo Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes
I’m sorry, did you guys see the straws in these Paleo Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes?! Too cute right. I love stuff that’s too cute, it’s my favorite. So welcome to the second Ghosts of Holiday Flavors Past post! Last week we welcomed Gingerbread and now it’s Peppermint time! I love peppermint time. It’s just one of those flavors that compliments chocolate really well and you know how much I love chocolate, so anything that makes it taste even better I’m like ALL about it.
You know what really grinds my gears? The Starbucks Holiday flavored signature drinks. First it’s Pumpkin Spice Lattes, then it’s Eggnog and Gingerbread Lattes, then Peppermint Mochas. It’s too much! Mostly just because I want to drink them all and can’t. But really Starbucks? You and your 14 Seasonal drinks. And then you serve them in these cute little festive red cups. Ugh. It’s sickening! (Not really, it’s delicious.)
Normally I allow myself one Eggnog Latte a season because it’s my absolute favorite of them all. I haven’t gotten it yet this year, but when I do, it’s going to be glorious. The Heavens will open and the Angels will sing Christmas carols just for me. I even tell the Barista making my drink, “Look buddy, (poking his shoulder with my finger) this is the ONE Eggnog Latte I get a year so you BETTER make it perfect OR ELSE!” Well that’s how it sounds in my head at least, I’m pretty sure I say it a lot nicer in person (I think?) I will be sure to have my Claritin on standby. Having allergies sucks. You know what doesn’t suck? These Paleo Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes.
Paleo Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes
*Makes 12 cupcakes
3 oz. mint dark chocolate bar (Alter Eco)
3/4 cup Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup canned coconut milk, full fat (room temperature)
1 cup fine blanched almond flour (Honeyville)
2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon pink himalayan salt
few dashes cinnamon
2 organic cage-free eggs
1/4 cup organic palm shortening or coconut oil (melted)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line or grease cupcake pan.
2. Add the mint chocolate bar, Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips, and coconut milk to a large bowl and melt using the double boiler method. (Hold the bowl over the pot of boiling water and stir together until completely melted.)
3. In a medium sized bowl combine your dry ingredients, almond flour, instant espresso powder, coconut palm sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, stir together and set aside.
4. Once the chocolate mixture has melted, remove from heat and stir in the palm shortening (or coconut oil) eggs, vanilla, and peppermint extract.
5. Now sift your dry ingredients into the melted chocolate mixture and stir until completely combined.
6. Fill cupcake liners with batter about 2/3 full, they will rise when baking.
7. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let completely cool before frosting.
Paleo Peppermint Chocolate Frosting
1 cup Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
2 tablespoons canned coconut milk, full fat (room temperature)
1 tablespoon organic palm shortening
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
shredded coconut for garnish
1. Add the Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips, coconut milk, and palm shortening to a large bowl and melt using the double boiler method. (Hold the bowl over the pot of boiling water and stir together until completely melted.) After everything is melted and combined, remove from heat and stir in the peppermint extract. Then place the frosting in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes so it can thicken up. Once it cools it will have the consistency of store bought chocolate frosting. Use a knife to spread the frosting on the cupcakes once they have completely cooled. Garnish as desired.
If you can’t find the Alter Eco Mint Chocolate in your area go ahead and sub for a regular dark chocolate bar and add another 1/4 teaspoon of mint extract to the cupcake batter. I also worked this recipe out so that you should only need one bag of Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips. I had the hardest time finding instant espresso powder, I went to 4 stores and couldn’t find it so I ended up just using 2 Starbucks VIA packs in Italian Dark Roast. They use a microground instant coffee powder so I figured this would work better than the larger instant coffee crystals. I’m still on the hunt for instant espresso powder because it does wonders for chocolate treats in baking. Also you could get SUPER creative in how you garnish these cupcakes! You could use beet juice to soak the coconut flakes in and make the flakes red, or you could use chocolate chips as a garnish or even cute little Christmas decorations like bows and snowflakes. The possibilities are endless and I can’t wait to see what you guys come up with!
These cupcakes are SO easy to make you guys and they come out super moist. It’s the closest to real cupcakes you’re gonna get without actually eating real cupcakes. These would be great to bring to a Holiday party and knock everyone’s socks off. Then you get a whole bunch of new socks and then Santa can bring you stuff you really want. Like a new Canon camera so that you don’t have to use your iPhone for blogging anymore. What are you guys asking Santa for this year?
Last week I saw someone ranting on another Paleo blogger’s site (that shall remain nameless) about how awful it was and inconvenient that some bloggers don’t have a way to print just the recipe on their site. They made it sound like we were idiots for not thinking to add a print button and we should basically just kill ourselves because we were so (insert expletive here) stupid. Okay that might be a bit dramatic but it was along those lines. I know it was none of you guys because you are all so awesome and would never be so disrespectful to someone working really hard, using their own free time and money, to bring you amazing recipes.
I just wanted to let you guys know that the ‘Print’ feature is a plug-in that you add to your site. Unfortunately when I started this blog I had no idea what I was doing and went with a free WordPress.com set up instead of the WordPress.org option. This means I am unable to add any custom plugins like a print button. Sad face. But I’m taking a few weeks off over the Holidays and I plan on converting my .com to a .org. This scares and intimidates me and it’s why I haven’t done it yet. I really want to make things easier for you guys so I’m going to take the leap and I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate you being so patient and understanding and not yelling at me! Love your faces for that. You’re the best. You know what else is the best? These Paleo Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes.